Return to Excellence – Reopening 2020-21
Over the last several months, we have focused an immense amount of attention on the details of our “Return to Excellence: Reopening 2020” plan in an effort to safely begin the upcoming school year. With that in mind, every decision made considers the safety of our students, staff and community as a top priority while we define our face-to-face, in-person instruction and our Tomball Virtual School options.
We understand this is an important and difficult decision you and your family must make before the school year begins. As we continue the planning process, Tomball ISD is taking all state and local health recommendations into consideration to help us make the best and safest decisions for the health and well-being of our students and staff.
(Updated August 4, 2020): The Tomball ISD Board of Trustees approved the recommendation to make changes to our 2020-2021 Instructional (School) Calendar during a Special Board Meeting.
Rather than begin school with all students in a virtual environment on August 18, Tomball ISD will push back the start of its 2020-2021 school year and begin either with face-to-face instruction or in our Tomball Virtual School on Tuesday, September 8, depending on the choice your family made via our Commitment Form.
Again, the school year is now slated to begin September 8 with your child(ren) in your preferred method of instruction. As we continue to learn, all plans are fluid and are subject to change dependent on new information and guidance.
Tomball ISD Board of Trustees approved up to 15 additional minutes to each school day to accommodate for the delay in the start of school. In addition to the extra minutes added, half days and staff development/student holidays were eliminated to capture extra minutes for the delayed start. With these calendar modifications, coupled with the District already having above and beyond the minimum number of required minutes by the state, we are fortunate to be able to delay the start of the 2020-21 school year without impacting Thursday, May 27, 2021 being our last day of school.
UIL ACTIVITIES TO RESUME (as of August 5, 2020)
Tomball ISD has also made the decision to allow the return of our Strength and Conditioning (SAC) and Fine Arts Camps at the secondary level. The opportunity to resume training on August 6 is available for students and will be program/sport-specific. Participation in these camps is not required for participation in athletics or fine arts. Health and safety protocols will be put in place to keep students and staff as safe as possible, but parents and students should consider their own personal health circumstance in deciding to attend voluntary camps. Details on each camp and site will be communicated to the students and families by their respective Athletic or Fine Arts Departments.
MEALS & TECHNOLOGY DISTRIBUTION (as of August 5, 2020)
Tomball ISD will offer a curbside meal service, beginning Tuesday, September 8, for students who choose to participate in our Tomball Virtual School. Meals will be distributed twice a week at a curbside community location. More information will be communicated prior to the start of the school year on where and when meals can be picked up.
Those families who have expressed a need for a learning device in order to participate in our Tomball Virtual School will receive information on where and when to pick up the device prior to September 8. Again, Tomball ISD is considering those families who expressed a need on their Commitment Form.
Two Return to School learning options will be available for students: Tomball ISD families will select one of the two options for their children.
Option 1: Full-time in-person on campuses, with heightened hygiene and disinfection protocols.
- Students will become acquainted with the Learning Management System - Schoology within their classrooms. This instructional enhancement will support instruction and student success if schools have to temporarily close or if students must be absent from in-person instruction.
- In accordance with state guidelines, students will be required to wear facial coverings on campus.
- Students will be socially distanced 3-6 ft apart when feasible.
- Heightened cleaning procedures will be in place.
- Visitors to campus will be limited.
- Please see our website for further information regarding our safety protocols and plans.
Option 2: Full-time virtual online learning (Tomball Virtual School)
- This will be different than remote learning in Spring 2020
- Instruction will be supported through a Learning Management System - Schoology.
- Learning will be synchronous (requiring students to be online a minimum amount of time a day at assigned times interacting with a teacher during school hours) and asynchronous (requiring students to work on their own with flexible times).
- Attendance is taken and required.
- Grades will be taken and averaged into yearly average and GPA consistent with in-person learning.
- Rigor and accountability in instruction and assignments
- Not all courses may be available in the online environment. Students may have to adjust their course selections at the secondary level.
Please take a moment to view our FAQ pages (links in the submenu to the right) as updates have been made to these pages. This information will guide you in making an informed decision as to what you feel is best for your student(s). We know that the Fall semester will look completely different, but we are steadfast in our commitment to provide quality instruction. We appreciate your understanding and support as we work through these trying times.
Together, we are Team Tomball! Please continue to stay safe and healthy.