Business & Operating Services » Tax Office » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How is my property value determined?
A. If your property is located in Harris County, the Harris County Appraisal District (713) 957-7800 appraises your property. If your property is located in Montgomery County, the Montgomery County Appraisal District (936) 756-3354 appraises your property.

Q. What are some exemptions? How do I apply?
A. Go to Rates and Exemptions to view a list of exemptions. You would apply to the appropriate appraisal district.

Q. When are taxes due?
A. Generally, current year taxes go delinqent February 1; however, if the taxes are certified late, they would be delinquent on the first day of the month that allowed 21 days to pay from the statement date.

Q. What if I don't receive a tax statement?
A. If you have not received your tax statement by November 15 of each year, give the tax office a call.

Q. Will a lien be placed on my property if the taxes are paid?
A. No.

Q. What if I sold my property last year?
A. You can contact the appropriate appraisal district and have them correct the name and address to the person you sold to.

Q. What if my mortgage company is supposed to pay my taxes?
A. Forward any tax statement to the mortgage company with your loan number visible for proper identification.

Q. Can I get a discount on my taxes if I pay early?
A. No. Tomball ISD does not offer any payment discounts.

Q. Do I have to pay all my taxes at the same time?
A. You have to pay all of the current year taxes before the delinquent date; however, if you have an age 65 exemption or a disability exemption, you qualify for quarterly installments. Contact the tax office for additional information.

Q. What kind of payment options are available?
A. Payments can be made online with a Credit card by clicking here.Taxes may be paid in person at the Tomball ISD Central Administration Building in the Tax Office using Cash (Exact Change Not Required), Personal Check, or Cashier Check. Credit card and debit card payments are not accepted at the counter.

Q. Will the Tax Office ever accept credit card payments?
A. Please see the answer to the previous question.

Q. What is a tax certificate, and how can I obtain one?
A. A tax certificate is a document that verifies taxes are paid. One can be purchased through the tax office for $10.00 per account.