Effective January 1, 2008, Texas law requires that all prospective school employees submit to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check and be cleared for employment. MorphoTrust USA (formerly L-1 Identity Solutions) is the exclusive electronic fingerprinting provider for the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) providing digital fingerprinting service for the district.
The process for non-certified employees:
- All non-certified employees; child nutrition, maintenance, custodial, transportation, lunchroom monitors, must be fingerprinted before starting to work for the district.
- The district will upload the required information to SBEC/TEA Online for applicants being considered for employment.
- SBEC/TEA will email a list to the district identifying those individuals who are subject to Senate Bill 9 fingerprinting, along with an individual FAST Fingerprint Pass form for each person.
- The district is responsible for scheduling the appointment and distributing the FAST Fingerprint Pass form to the individual applicant prior to their scheduled appointment.
- The applicant must take their FAST Fingerprint Pass form and photo identification (driver’s license, state issued identification card, etc.) to their scheduled appointment.
- Upon conclusion of their fingerprinting, they must return the completed form to the district.
- The district will automatically be subscribed to each applicant in the DPS clearinghouse after the applicant has been printed. When the criminal history report is made available in the DPS Clearinghouse, DPS will notify the district by email of the individual’s criminal history activity.
The process for certified employees:
All certified employees; teachers, substitute teachers, aides, have been required to submit fingerprints to the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)/Texas Education Agency (TEA) so that a national criminal background check can be conducted by the FBI.
- SBEC/TEA requires that the applicant pay online with a credit card or approved debit card; if the applicant does not have either card, a pre-paid/one-time use credit card can be obtained from any financial institution or certain retail outlets.
- The applicant will receive an email from SBEC/TEA that will contain their FAST Fingerprint Pass which will allow them to schedule their appointment for fingerprinting.
- The applicant is required to make an appointment with Morph Trust. Click here to find a location nearest you. Once you have located a facility, you can begin the Online Scheduling to register for an appointment.
- The applicant must take their FAST Fingerprint Pass form, receipt from their online payment and photo identification (driver’s license, state issued identification card, etc.) to their scheduled appointment.
- It is recommended that the applicant keep possession of their FAST Fingerprint Pass until they are sure their prints have cleared and completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if the results of the fingerprinting process reflect any criminal offense record?
If the results of your fingerprint processing reflect any criminal records or if you report a record on your application for a Texas educator certificate or permit, your file may be referred to the Office of Investigations for review. That office may contact you regarding information needed to review your records for determination of eligibility for a Texas educator credential. Issuance of the credential will be determined by the results of this review. The district may withdraw an employment offer at any time if there is activity on an applicant's criminal history.
I was fingerprinted as a requirement for certification in another state. Do I need to be reprinted to work in Tomball ISD?
Yes. All applicants holding an educator credential in another state or in a foreign country must undergo a national criminal background check through DPS and the FBI.
What fees am I expected to pay?
There are no fees required for "non-certified" applicants. For those applicants that are "certified", the cost for taking the fingerprints through L-1 Enrollment Services is $9.95 and must be paid to L-1 Enrollment Services at the time of your fingerprinting appointment. In addition to the fee paid to L-1 Enrollment Services, there is a non-refundable fee of $42.25 that must be paid directly to SBEC/TEA. This fee must be paid online by logging into your SBEC/TEA Online Account and covers the cost of processing the fingerprints by DPS and the FBI.
I was fingerprinted when I got my concealed handgun license/real estate license/daycare license. Do I have to be fingerprinted again?
Yes. DPS requires that a separate set of fingerprints be submitted.