We are no longer accepting applications for the 2016 - 2017 school year. The 2017 - 2018 application will be posted over the summer.
For more information on substitute teaching in Tomball ISD, please see the 2016-2017 Substitute Handbook. It contains helpful information on requirements, responsibilities, pay rates and schedules, and campus contacts.
SUBSTITUTE JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Professional Substitute (Teacher):
Requires 60 or more college hours verified via an official college transcript attached to the online application.
- Provide students with appropriate learning activities in the academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth.
- Carry out the absent teacher's prepared lesson plans and any special duties assigned to the absent teacher (bus duty, hall duty, lunch/recess duty, etc.).
- Use the absent teacher's classroom discipline plan and give specific directions about desired behavior.
- Consult with the administration and/or staff to resolve any questions/concerns.
- Comply with all building procedures and schedules.
- Prepare a written summary for the absent teacher at the end of the day of work completed and any special situations encountered.
Paraprofessional Substitute (Instructional Aide):
Requires 48 or more college hours verified via an official college transcript attached to your online application.
Carry out the absent paraprofessional/aide's duties as assigned by the classroom teacher.
Consult with the teacher to resolve any questions/concerns.
Comply with all building procedures and schedules.
SUBSTITUTE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to be employed as a district substitute, the following requirements must first be met. Please read and carefully consider these requirements before applying:
1) Online application and evidence of required college hours via an official transcript attached to your online application or provided directly to Human Resources.
2) Clear background check (conducted electronically at the time of application).
3) Receipt of three satisfactory references (requested electronically at the time of application).
4) Either successful completion of TISD's fingerprinting procedure ($48 fee) or evidence of prior fingerprinting by the Texas Education Agency (other agency fingerprints may not be used, i.e. child care facilities, concealed handgun license, etc.)
5) Either successful completion of Region 4's online substitute training course ($25 fee) or evidence of 2 or more of the last 5 years of full-time employment as a certified teacher via an official service record.
6) Attendance at Substitute Orientation (2-3 hours in length).
7) Submission of completed New Substitute Paperwork, presentation of acceptable forms of ID for the I-9 Employment Eligibility Form, and benefits elections.
Once the substitute application has been received by the Human Resources Department and steps #1 and 2 have been verified, candidates will receive an email with further instructions for meeting these requirements.
Individuals who are interested in serving as a nurse substitute will complete steps #1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 above. In lieu of step #5, evidence of a current Texas nursing license as an LVN or RN is required. School nursing experience or three years of hospital floor duty is preferred. In lieu of step #6, nurse substitute applicants will participate in an orientation session with the Director of Health Services. If you are interested in substituting as a nurse within TISD, you may access the application by clicking the link below.