In 1908, school was first held in Tomball in the Woodmen of the World Building, which was a one room framed building that educated nearly 15 students. The community soon made plans to build a school. Land on Cherry Street was donated, and by 1910 a school was built. The two-story red brick schoolhouse, which was part of the Harris County School System, consisted of two classrooms downstairs and an auditorium upstairs. By 1916, sixty-two students attended the Tomball school. As of 1928, the community grew and consisted of four schools. By 1931, the district employed five teachers.
By 1935, the original schoolhouse on Cherry Street was torn down and replaced with a new buff colored brick building. The school opened in 1936 with grades one through 11. In 1937, a petition was presented to the Harris County School Board requesting that Tomball have its own school district. That petition was granted and all funds and debts were transferred to the Tomball Independent School District. The school on Cherry Street had grown so much that by 1938 a second campus was needed. Therefore, the district built a new red brick high school and a gymnasium located in the 700 block of Main Street.
Decker Prairie, Bauer, and the Kohrville areas eventually became part of the district, and the Rosehill community was annexed in 1954. In 1961, the high school on Main Street burned to the ground. Classes were held in churches and community facilities for years to come.
Despite the fire that destroyed the high school on Main Street, enrollment continued to grow. By 1970, the district enrolled 1,246 students. By 1974, students began attending classes at the new Tomball High School on Sandy Lane.
In 2000, voters approved a $98.4 million bond referendum that enabled the district to renovate Tomball High School. The district also renovated the transportation center and five other existing campuses. New facilities including Willow Wood Junior High, Northpointe Intermediate, Rosehill Elementary, a district aquatic center, and other athletic facilities were also constructed under the 2000 bond referendum. The district also expanded its fine arts, athletic, agriculture, and other extracurricular and instructional programs to serve the needs of its students.
In 2007, voters passed Bond 2007 – a $198 million bond program, which funded Canyon Pointe, Creekside Forest, and Timber Creek Elementary Schools, and Tomball Memorial High School. Additional support facilities including a new Ancillary Building, Agriculture Project Barn, and the Technology/Staff Development Center were also completed under Bond 2007.
The 2007 bond referendum also funded the John P. Neubauer Administration Building, which was named after former Superintendent John Neubauer. The administration building was built on Cherry Street at the site where the original 1936 buff colored brick school once stood. A replica of the front façade of the original school was incorporated into the design of the new building. Although Mr. Neubauer retired after devoting 46 years to Tomball ISD, he maintains vivid memories of his first teaching job in the original 1936 school.
In May 2013, voters approved Bond 2013 – a $160 million bond program that funded four new schools and addressed security and technology district wide. Wildwood Elementary and Oakcrest Intermediate School opened in the southern portion of the district in August 2015. Creekview Elementary School, located in The Woodlands, also opened its doors in August 2015. Creekside Park Junior High opened in The Woodlands in August 2016.
Tomball ISD now encompasses 83 square miles in northwest Harris County and southwest Montgomery County, and is located approximately 30 miles from downtown Houston. The district currently educates over 14,800 students at 18 campuses.